Josef Vyleťal mysterious surreal poster design for ’70s East German historical drama.
- title: The Elixirs of the Devil | Die Elixiere des Teufels | Elixíry ďábla | Czechoslovakia, East Germany, 1972
- directors: Brigitte Kirsten, Ralf Kirsten
- with: Benjamin Besson, Jaroslava Schallerová, Andrzej Kopiczyński
- writer: E.T.A. Hoffmann (book)
poster design: Josef Vyleťal, 1973
Movie posters in our collection were promotional materials. Posters used on display in the cinemas across the former Czechoslovakia. They bear signs of their age.
Josef Vyleťal (1940 – 1989) – Czech painter, graphic artist and film or theatre set designer. He studied architecture at the Technical University in Bratislava and at the Academy of Arts, Architecture and Design in Prague. In between 1964 – 1979 he created 115 movie posters. His major influences were surrealism and paintings by North Renaissance old masters. He was married to fine artist and award winning poster designer Olga Poláčková-Vyleťalová.
Award Winning Posters by Josef Vyleťal:
- 1979 – 2nd prize The Hollywood Reporter Magazine, Silver Hugo at the International Film Festival in Chicago (Beauty and the Beast)
Explore excellent collection of
Or see other fascinating
Subscribe to our newsletter for shop / blog highlights and special offers.
Note: 17% OFF coupon for the first time visitors: hello jozefsquare. FREE SHIPPING on 2 or more posters!
Please select as option at the checkout.